Litigation & Arbitration
DID: +65 6320 1189
Doris Chia heads the Litigation, Dispute Resolution & Arbitration Department. She is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators. Doris has appeared before the Singapore Court of Appeal, the High Court and the State Court for a wide variety of disputes, some of which were landmark decisions in Singapore.
With more than 25 years of experience in civil and commercial litigation work, Doris’ forte is in providing strategic advice and representation to her clients (from Singapore, India, People’s Republic of China, Hong Kong, Thailand, the Philippines, Malaysia, Cambodia, Australia, France and the USA) to achieve solutions to their commercial issues or disputes. Doris has also been instructed by law firms from Malaysia, India, Australia and Hong Kong.
Doris has successfully advised and/or acted for:
- ABN Amro Bank in its recovery as a creditor of the Singapore Flyer before its sale to Straco Corporation in 2014
- Ho Lee Construction Pte Ltd as the major creditor in the Scheme of Arrangement of TT International Limited
- Full Apex Holdings Limited, a Hong Kong company listed in Singapore in a claim in the Supreme Court of Bermuda (as well as other public listed companies, major shareholders and directors in public listed companies)
- Swiss-Asia Genghis Hedge Fund in its claim in the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands (and various other hedge funds)
- The majority shareholders of Swee Hong Limited in a matter in the Singapore High Court
- Media and creative agencies like Fly Entertainment, The Edge Singapore, Business Times, Straits Times and The New Paper
- McDonald’s Restaurant
- Socomec SA
- Broekman Logistics
- Toppan Leefung
Recent/significant decisions or cases:
- LionGold Corp Ltd v The Edge Publishing Pte Ltd & Anor (High Court 2016). Defamation.
- Blumont Group Ltd v The Edge Publishing Pte Ltd & Anor (High Court 2016). Defamation.
- Xavier Andre Justo & Anor v Tong Kooi Ong & Ors (2015). Contract. Successfully represented the defendant.
- Trans Express (S) Pte Ltd v McDonald’s Restaurants Pte Ltd (2015, unreported) Breach of contract, inducement of breach of contract. Successfully represented the defendant.
- Sato Kogyo (S) Pte Ltd & Anor v Socomec SA  SGHC 76. Singapore High Court. Negligence and duty of care in a fire claim involving S$8.6m. Successfully represented the defendant.
- The Royal Bank of Scotland & Ors v TT International Ltd and anor appeal  SGCA 9. Singapore Court of Appeal. Challenging the sanction of a Scheme of Arrangement of a public listed company in Singapore.
- George Raymond Zage III and another v Ho Chi Kwong and another  2 SLR 589;  SGCA 4. Singapore Court of Appeal. Trust, knowing receipt, dishonest assistance.
- Chwee Kin Keong and others v Digilandmall.com Pte Ltd  1 SLR(R) 502;  SGCA 2. Singapore Court of Appeal. Landmark decision on unilateral mistake of fact in respect of the price of product listed on an online mall and the purchases made thereon. Successfully represented the defendant.
Doris is widely recognized as one of the leading litigators and authority on defamation law in Singapore. In June 2016, Doris’ book titled “Defamation: Principles and Procedure in Singapore and Malaysia” was published by LexisNexis. This is the latest textbook on defamation law for Singapore and Malaysia. She is quoted regularly in written and broadcast media in Singapore. Doris is always in demand as a speaker for talks and seminars for journalists on defamation and media law.
Doris co-authored the 3rd edition of, “Evans on Defamation in Singapore and Malaysia” (2008 Ed). The book was cited in various judgments in Singapore and Malaysia including the following:
- Low Tuck Kwong v Sukamto Sia  SGCA 6, Singapore Court of Appeal
- Zhu Yong Zhen v AIA Singapore Pte Ltd and another  SGHC 37, Singapore High Court
- Segar Ashok v Koh Fonn Lyn Veronica and another suit  SGHC 168, Singapore High Court
- Kay Swee Pin v Singapore Island Country Club and others  SGHC 175, Singapore High Court
- Review Publishing Co Ltd and another v Lee Hsien Loong and another appeal  SGCA 46, Singapore Court of Appeal
- Chan Chin Cheung v Chan Fatt Cheung and others  SGCA 62, Singapore Court of Appeal
- Lim Eng Hock Peter v Lin Jian Wei and another  SGHC 31, Singapore High Court
Doris is passionate about helping others, especially in the area of legal education. She regularly gives pro bono talks on defamation, probate and other issues. She was the Editor of the 4th Edition of “You & the Law” (2011). The book is a community service by the Singapore Association of Women Lawyers (SAWL) to simplify important areas of law for the layman. Proceeds from the sale of the book go to the Tan Ah Tah-SAWL Fund for the physically disabled and needy students. The Foreword was written by the then Chief Justice of Singapore, the Honourable Justice Chan Sek Keong.
In 2013, Doris co-authored a chapter on “Product Liability” for the Law Society’s Law Awareness campaign which aims to provide a “Social Enterprise Legal Toolkit” to young entrepreneurs aged 20-30 years by explaining in simple terms, the legal issues in the setting up and running of social enterprises.
(Litigation, Dispute Resolution, Arbitration, Singapore Lawyer)